Monday, June 16, 2014

Schoooool's out for Summer! (Sorta)



The local public schools ended their year on Thursday, and since I have one child enrolled in middle school, it was her last day of school.  As such, I thought the occasion needed to be marked with something and that something wanted to be a baked item.  It was rather a soggy day, here, for the first day of summer.  I was going to make brownies, but our internet connection was down (OMGoogle! How did we survive?)  So, I couldn't get my new fave brownie recipe.  So I picked up one of my old friends, The Enchanted Broccoli Forest and turned right to this (I always get my cookbooks dirty.) :
Oh yes.  A new tradition, perhaps?  Maybe I was feeling like this kind of treat because the weather was rather soggy and chilly and we had a pint of cream in the fridge.  An hour later we were sinking our teeth into some awesome gingerbread!
This gal was a bit on the sad side, as she said goodbye to friends and teachers after her great 7th grade year.  She not be returning to the local middle school, but instead, going on to ACMA in the fall.  Everyone else also enjoyed the gingerbread, and it was used as bait to get 3 squirrelly boys into the car and on their way home.  Yes!  Food Bribery!  What parents live for!

With a definite nod to Ms. Katzen, I share with you my reworked recipe:

 (Gluten Free) Triple Gingerbread Squared
(Because this girl is a math wiz.)
a little butter or oil for the pan
6 Tbs. butter or coconut oil
3 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup light molasses
3/4 cup yogurt
1 egg
1 1/2 c gluten free flour (1 c brown rice 1/2 c each tapioca starch and potato starch, 1/2 tsp xant. gum)
1/2 cup almond flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup uncrystallized candied ginger (We get it at Trader Joes) chopped into bits

1) Preheat oven to 375.  Grease an 8-inch square pan with butter or oil.
2) Place the butter or oil in a small pan, add the ginger and saute for 3 minutes over medium heat.
3) Combine syrup and molasses in a large bowl, add the ginger mixture and beat until smooth.  Stir in the yogurt and egg.
4) In a smaller bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
5) Add the dry to the wet and mix until fully combined.
6) Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Grace said...

I can't wait to get home & give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.